RURAL ARCHITECTURE RAMU KATAKAM RESIDENCE

RURAL ARCHITECTURE 
RAMU KATAKAM RESIDENCE
[Image: image-11.png]

Ramu says We went on the long drive to North West County and during it Ramu talked about his experiment. 'I made an attempt to build what I think a modern Indian bungalow should be. The house is actually a sort of pun, similar in style to the old Bangalore bungalow with verandahs at the front and back and .the living spaces on both sides of a central hall. Our version is very austere and simple yet  within this simplicity I brought in elements of light and shade thatchange patterns and aspects of the interior spaces with every movement of the sun and moon. The rough, textured exteriors are coloured ochre in monochromatic continuity with the interiors, which as people remind me is very Mexican. The light shades are onyx, an eastern material. The only real luxury was buying the best kitchen and bathroom fittings. Since I had to please only myself I felt free to experiment with spaces and materials. I stayed with natural materials like granite, terracotta, pebbles, brick and typical village random rubble for the compound walls. '

To Read more...

.pdf RURAL ARCHITECTURE RAMU KATAKAM RESIDENCE.pdf Size: 2.79 MB  Downloads: 7

Taken from inside outside Jan 2006 
register as member and login to download attachment [pdf] by right-click the pdf link and Select “Save link as” use for Educational Purposes Only